In 2016 SA Masters Surfing Championships will revert to a “stand alone” event going forward. ( It will not be combined with the SA Champs as it was during our 50th Anniversary event in Richards Bay).
This year the Championships will take place at Seal Point for the first time. At a NATCOM Meeting in November 2015 it was agreed to include ONE Over 30 Men’s Surfer and reduce the Over 60 Division to ONE surfer. The Opening Function will be held on Wednesday May 18th at a venue that has yet to be confirmed and the contest will run for four days from May 19th to 22nd. Due to the popularity of Seal Point as a venue I have been informed that ALL eight districts will be sending full teams to the Championships. This means that we will have to run a total of 102 heats in four days (approx 26 heats a day).
A Presidents Team was included in the 2015 SA Champs because it was our 50th Anniversary and we had the time available to run the extra heats. That was a “once of” and there will not be a Presidents Team at this or future SA Masters Championships.
(above) Ray Harris at the 2015 SA Champs in Richards Bay, KZN
Please note that the Entry Fee to the SA Masters is R6600 and will be discounted to R6000 if paid by April 18th
The 2016 Team size is –
- Over 30 x 1 (must turn 31 in year of competition)
- 35 – 40 x 4 ( must turn 36 in year of competition)
- 40 – 45 x 4 (must turn 41 in year of competition)
- 45 – 50 x 2 ( must turn 46 in year of competition)
- 50 – 55 x 2 (must turn 51 in year of competition)
- 55 – 60 x 2 (must turn 56 in year of competition)
- Over 60 x 1 (must turn 61 in year of competition)
- Over 30 Woman x 1 ( must turn 31 in year of competition)
Team size is 17